Cosmos Calendar Week 4: End Projects

COSMOS is a 4 calendar week summertime scientific discipline together with applied scientific discipline programme focused on didactics motivated high schoolhouse students topics rarely seen inwards high schoolhouse curriculums. My cite is Kritin Karkare together with I’m a bioengineering undergraduate educatee at UC San Diego, a quondam COSMOS Cluster 8 (Tissue Engineering) alumnus, together with electrical flow Cluster vii (Synthetic Biology) didactics assistant.  


For the 4 weeks of the program, I covered COSMOS life every bit a didactics assistant through this blog.  In the get-go post, I covered an introduction to COSMOS together with interviewed physician Charles Tu, the UC San Diego COSMOS director. In the minute I interviewed several students together with shared some of my thoughts every bit a cluster assistant. The 3rd calendar week focused on the professors’ perspectives, together with this calendar week I am putting the spotlight dorsum on the students through their end projects. In addition, I convey some thoughts on my operate inwards COSMOS. 


Cluster half dozen end project:


Project: Volatile Gas Formation inwards Algae Formation
Members: Ricardo Ozuna, Brian Fang, Rosa Golchin together with Bavan Rajan.  


Cluster 10 end project:


Project: Humanoid-Surveillance Robot
Members: Margaret Peterson, Skyler Stetson, Aishwarya Gunaseelan


Afterword: 

For anyone who read through all 4 articles, give cheers you! Teaching for COSMOS is i thing,
but writing virtually it for others to experience is another. I am glad I could render some insight
about this programme through my unique lens. When I get-go came into COSMOS every bit a TA lastly year,
I was frightened; it was my get-go fourth dimension helping to teach, together with there’s zip scarier to a novel instructor
than beingness asked a inquiry that you lot can’t answer! 

Students, together with inwards item high schoolhouse students, asked insightful questions exterior of lecture
material that oft would force me produce exterior research to regain answers. Maybe it was only me,
but I mean value starting my didactics experience inwards COSMOS together with non inwards the college classroom was
the best choice. If it weren’t for the students’ smart, novel - sometimes ludicrous - questions,
I’m non certain if I would live every bit motivated to larn how to learn to a greater extent than effectively.
In his interview, Charles Tu, manager of COSMOS at UC San Diego, referenced the sheer
curiosity high schoolhouse students convey compared to college students -  they inquire to a greater extent than questions,
and to a greater extent than importantly, to a greater extent than “impossible” questions. From my personal experience inwards a college
classroom, I believe this every bit well. The COSMOS students showed me that there’s however this great
potential from curious students similar them that only needs to live nurtured amongst the correct environment.
As an example, I mean value COSMOS’ mix of scientific discipline communication practice, hands on experience,
mentorship from professors together with its commitment to encouraging failure is a image to model -
particularly because I gained an appreciation for the rigor of the scientific method after going
through the lab process. 
Admittedly, this chore shows me only how footling biological scientific discipline I know, fifty-fifty after studying it for 2 years.
For their end project, i grouping asked if it was possible to brand glowing yogurt, which made
my caput turn. It’s non a scientific research that most people commonly inquire at the undergraduate marking
and above. However, it is the silly, together with ultimately ambitious questions similar these that drive scientific discipline
and applied scientific discipline advancement. Why non live bold? You mightiness fail, but together with thus you lot convey to a greater extent than things to
experiment on, together with that’s the beauty of science. The procedure never fails to entertain the remove heed of the
curious. 

For these reasons, I’m glad that programs similar COSMOS be inwards club to allow these immature minds become wild. It’s non only the exposure to high marking content; you lot tin acquire that online easily without setting human foot inwards a classroom. It’s empowering them amongst the tools to run their creative experiments, letting them experience disappointed when their hypothesis was wrong, together with pushing them to continue going.  
As for me, I also gained something of import from the students’ willingness to inquire questions: a drive to motivate immature scientists to continue call for skillful questions together with to continue them coming fast. 
I desire to give cheers the Jacobs School of Engineering for allowing me write together with disclose these weblog posts. In addition, give cheers you lot to COSMOS for giving me the conduct a chance to live involved every bit a player together with didactics assistant, together with finally, to Cluster vii (Synthetic Biology) for the chance to live business office of their community together with engage the adjacent generation inwards scientific discovery!

P.S. If you’re curious, there’s no consensus on glowing yogurt yet. While it seemed similar the yogurt glowed, analysis of the sample a solar daytime afterwards showed no glowing. Maybe that’s a end projection to investigate adjacent year?

Sumber http://jacobsschoolofengineering.blogspot.com/

Jangan sampai ketinggalan postingan-postingan terbaik dari Cosmos Calendar Week 4: End Projects. Berlangganan melalui email sekarang juga:

Bali Attractions

BACA JUGA LAINNYA:

Bali Attractions